Long-term charity partnerships can provide invaluable knowledge, relationships and specialist skills for the communities in which we work. Partnering with the right organisations is key to maximising these opportunities.
We work with charities to understand how they operate and what they need. We then agree how we can best help them by providing our time, skills and materials, free of charge.
Our current partnerships include:
- The Duke of Edinburgh's Award
- Arrival Education
- Spitalfields Crypt Trust
- Business in the Community
- Youthbuild UK
Lend a Hand volunteer programme
Each year our employees receive additional paid leave to support organisations close to their hearts or one of our charity partners.
Volunteering offers vital help to people in need, worthwhile causes and to the community. It also benefits the volunteer. It can help with confidence, meeting new people, feeling part of the community or simply providing the opportunity to try something new.
In 2016 15.2 per cent of Skanska employees used their ‘Lend a Hand’ volunteer day to support a charity or community group. Our target is to increase this to 50% of employees by 2020.
Skanska UK volunteering in 2016
- 766 employee volunteers (15.2% of employees)
- 6,195 hours spent volunteering
Volunteering case studies
Spitalfields Crypt Trust
Spitalfields Crypt Trust has worked in East London since 1965. It offers support, rehabilitation and training services to people facing homelessness, addiction, poverty or social isolation.
In 2012, we approached the trust. Since that initial meeting, our relationship and subsequent commitment has continued to grow, based around our weekly volunteering in the kitchen at their drop-in centre.
Additionally, our teams have supported the charity by:
- volunteering at their health and wellbeing MOT days
- donating over £5,500 to help specific events
- fundraising over £5,300
- refurbishing their drop-in centre and kitchen
- providing technical support with a funding tender, including 3D drawings and financial advice
- providing photography, videography and social media support at the launch of a fundraising exhibition
- Over 340 of our employees have given over 1,200 hours of their time and our proud to support the trust.
Groundwork supports thousands of people every year, through their community and environmental projects.
They provide training and support to the nation's jobseekers and those still at school, helping them develop new skills and get into work.
The charity supports many community projects, and helps thousands of people work together to create better places. These include parks, play areas, allotments, nature reserves and many other treasured spaces that matter to them.
Since our partnership with Groundwork began in 2014, over 360 of our employees have taken part in over 30 team volunteer events.