Modern facilities for Central Nottinghamshire Hospitals
We modernised three hospital sites for Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Trust and Mansfield District Primary Care Trust: King’s Mill Hospital, Mansfield Community Hospital and Newark Hospital.
We designed, built and funded the redevelopment of the buildings over an area of approximately 140,800sqm, including retained estate.
Meeting people’s needs
This leading project in healthcare design incorporated a sustainable, therapeutic and accessible healing environment to aid recovery, encourage learning and provide a welcoming environment for patients, staff and the public.
At King’s Mill we created a new 860-bed acute hospital. We also refurbished other buildings to create a new diagnostic treatment centre, operating theatres, a pharmacy, imaging suites and a rooftop restaurant.
For Mansfield Community Hospital we installed a new entrance and administration building and refurbished other facilities. This resulted in 84 bed spaces, a rehabilitation unit, an outpatients’ area and x-ray department.
At Newark Hospital we improved the building exterior and installed a new centralised boiler plant.
Facilities management services
We now provide hard facilities management services to King’s Mill, Newark and Mansfield Community Hospitals.
- programme and project management and ad hoc estates services
- small works/developments service
- energy and utilities monitoring service
- management of waste
- gardens and grounds maintenance
- telecommunications maintenance
- quality performance – continual improvement
- life cycle plans and condition surveys
The trust’s core principles are: quality, safety and clinical excellence. We provide a service that helps it do this, 24/7.
King’s Mill Hospital deals with over 30,000 inpatients, 106,000 emergency cases and 77,000 day cases, while delivering over 3,100 babies every year. Our dedicated team ensures the hospital runs smoothly so the clinical teams can focus on their work
Award winning geothermal system
The geothermal system installed at King’s Mill Hospital currently provides 90 per cent of the cooling for the building.
In 2015, we successfully implemented the Skanska waste behavioural change programme across all three hospitals, reducing the trust’s waste costs by around £200,000 per annum and winning a Green Apple Award.
Other initiatives to improve energy efficiencies and cost savings include:
- installation of LED lighting
- boiler optimisation
- time schedule audit on the business management system
- turning off the tower roof lights at King’s Mill Hospital
- All this has saved money, reduced the maintenance impact and the trust’s carbon footprint, contributing to a sustainable future for the Mansfield community.