We will all be keeping a close watch on the daily Government updates and restrictions currently in place in order to control the spread of Coronavirus. As a responsible organisation, we believe it is very important indeed that we at Skanska do all that we can to support this effort.
There’s no doubt that we are all worried about the virus, on a personal and professional level. First and foremost, we must do everything we can to stay healthy and safe and we need to do the same for others.
The guiding principle for all our decisions and actions is not to put those who work on our sites or others at risk, particularly essential workers. We are going to need these essential workers more and more as we go through this period.
Every work site that continues to be operational will only remain so if the following are complied with:
- Skanska’s current health and safety policies applicable to the work type
- The Site Operating Procedures – Protecting Your Workforce, as issued by the Construction Leadership Council. These are procedures that have been created specifically in response to the coronavirus pandemic
- A risk assessment is carried out to ensure that all aspects of items a) and b) can be achieved. The risk assessment will be reviewed on a daily basis.
Over the coming days and weeks, we will continue to closely follow UK Government and Public Health England guidelines in managing our response. We will keep in contact with our supply chain partners with guidance related to specific projects and sites.
We have closed our main offices, including in London, Maple Cross and at Bentley Works in Doncaster, though all our staff from those offices continue to work from home. Our Fabrications facility in Doncaster remains open and is being operated in line with the safety procedures set out above. You can continue to contact those you usually work with by phone or digital channels.
Our commitment to you
These are significant changes that will affect all of us. We are committed to doing all that we can to find a way through these difficult times together. It is vitally important to us that our supply chain partners remain strong and successful businesses and we are committed to providing the following support:
- We believe it’s all the more important when the going gets tough that you can rely on fair payment. We will continue to pay invoices within terms and in accordance with our agreement with you and not intentionally delay payment to manage our own cash position
- Where agreement has been made with our customers, we will pass down any supplier relief payments we receive from our customers, even when our sites are closed
- We will maintain ongoing regular communications so we can support you as best we can, especially around advice on COVID-19 and other health, safety and wellbeing issues, as well as where you might get financial support
- We will inform you as soon as is reasonably possible of any further planned site closures
At an industry level, we are in conversation with organisations including the Construction Leadership Council, Build UK and the Civil Engineering Contractors Association (CECA). Detailed below weblinks to information and support that you may find useful.
- Government COVID-19 support for business
- Coronavirus Business Support, scheme information
- British Business Bank, Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (CBILS)
- News story on Government support for business
If you have any concerns or wish to talk to us further, please contact the members of our team that you regularly work with at Skanska who will do their very best to support you.