We have a proven track record of reducing carbon emissions and client costs. We are experts at re-using existing piles and foundations, where possible. Our re-use projects in Bridgwater, Somerset and London’s Bevis Marks and 5 Broadgate buildings produced significant CO2 reductions.
Our environmentally-sensitive approach also reduces financial costs for our customers, including savings of £100,000 at 5 Broadgate and £1 million for Bevis Marks.
In reducing the requirements for new piles, there is also a marked benefit on the impact to surrounding property users and the community.
Bevis Marks - the rewards of re-using piles
- 66 piles were re-used
- this meant the entire basement box was re-used (50 per cent of the mass of the original building)
- no pile removals were needed
- this saved 1,000 tonnes of CO2 and eight weeks on programme time
- the original scheme would have required a larger rig and access ramp
- detailed analysis of construction records meant existing piles carried 56 per cent of the new building load
GE Sustainability Award
We were rewarded for our pioneering work at Bevis Marks with the 2013 Sustainability Award.