Skanska, in Joint venture with Costain, have been awarded the C405 – Crossrail Paddington Station contract by Crossrail. This is the first station to be awarded as part of the £14.8bn Crossrail programme and a key interchange with the existing Network Rail services at Paddington Mainline station and with London Underground.
The contract is valued at around £150 million and is the fourth Crossrail scheme to be awarded to the team, who will carry out the project under a 50/50 joint venture.
Key elements of the project include:-
- Building and Structures works
- Highways works and Traffic Management
- Surface Water Drainage and Utilities
- Ground Control and Monitoring
- Mechanical, Electrical, Fire and Public Health works
- Installation of Crossrail’s system wide communications equipment and materials
- Landscaping, site restoration and urban realm
To complete the project, the team will draw upon key in-house skills available to them including piling & foundations and mechanical and electrical installations.
The new Crossrail station in Paddington has been designed to maximise the station’s space while preserving the historic features of the main line station. The new station will take the form of a 260m long, 25m wide and 23m deep underground box located directly under Departures Road and Eastbourne Terrace. Paddington will be just nine minutes to Liverpool Street, 16 minutes to Canary Wharf and 27 minutes to Abbey Wood.
Work will begin immediately and is scheduled for completion in 2018.