|Skanska UK||Skanska Global|
|2015 revenue||£1.430 billion||SEK 154.9 billion|
|2015 operating income||£38.4 million||SEK 6.5 billion|
|President and CEO||Mike Putnam||Johan Karlström|
Skanska, one of the UK’s leading contractors, is an inclusive and responsible business that is helping to build for a better society. Known for major projects, such as the Gherkin and Crossrail, we are building, upgrading and maintaining the country’s infrastructure. Drawing on our Scandinavian heritage, we are green, innovative and progressive. We bring together people and technology, as part of our quest to make construction a safer and more collaborative industry.
Operating around the world in selected home markets in Europe and the US, Skanska is listed on the Stockholm stock exchange and headquartered in Sweden’s capital city.
Purpose and values
Our purpose is to build for a better society Skanska’s values-driven approach was publically applauded in 2014 when Skanska AB was awarded the FT ArcelorMittal Boldness in Business Award for corporate responsibility and environment.
In all our home markets, we are well positioned to deliver the sustainable solutions that customers and societies need, today and in the future. We take an active role in developing society, working with customers, politicians and other stakeholders to continually improve standards in safety, green, ethics, diversity and inclusion, and community investment.
Through Our Journey to Deep Green™, our ultimate aim is for all Skanska projects to have a near-zero impact on the environment.
Mike Putnam, UK president and CEO is the chair of the government’s Green Construction Board.
Recent project highlights
- The design, construction, operation and maintenance of the UK’s biggest hospital project, the £1 billion redevelopment of St Bartholomew’s and The Royal London.
- In joint venture, Skanska delivered the £1 billion widening of the M25, one of the world’s busiest motorways, ahead of schedule in 2012. A £320 million design and construction contract to upgrade further sections was again completed early in 2014. We are also part of the team managing and maintaining the 440km of motorway until 2039.
- With a value of more than £400 million, seven Crossrail contracts have been secured by a Costain Skanska joint venture since 2010, including Bond Street and Paddington stations.
- Battersea Power Station Development – Skanska is delivering engineering services for phase one of this London mega project, and is preferred bidder for phase two, the prestigious power station development.
- Water – Skanska is delivering long-term value for Thames Water, Welsh Water and Anglian Water, using collaborative working to create broad-based, innovative solutions that benefit consumers.
- In the last 10 years, we’ve built, refurbished and extended over 40 schools in Bristol to deliver over 7,500 new primary places, and improved the learning environment for more than 13,600 secondary pupils.
- New Papworth Hospital – part of a new biomedical campus in Cambridge, this cardiothoracic centre of excellence will provide 310 beds, seven operating theatres and five catheterisation labs, funded through a private-finance initiative.
- The Monument Building in London and 66 Queen Square in Bristol are Skanska’s first UK developments under our Workplaces by Skanska banner, bringing distinctive, high-quality and sustainable office and retail space to a competitive market.
Development areas in the UK
- Infrastructure Development – we finance projects, through design and construction, to facilities management.
- Project Development – commercial property development from concept to market.
Skanska UK is backed by the financial strength of Skanska AB in Sweden.