Our £1.7 billion (2019) UK operation is one of the country’s top construction and development companies. Known for working on major projects such as HS2 − the UK’s new high-speed railway, we are building, upgrading, and maintaining the country’s infrastructure for future generations.
Skanska in joint venture with Costain and STRABAG, is working with HS2 to provide full detailed design and construction of Phase 1 of the UK’s new high-speed railway in the southern section of the overall project. Skanska’s work on this project is worth £1.12 billion and is expected to complete in 2026.
Drawing on our Scandinavian heritage, we are green, innovative, and progressive. We bring together people and technology, as part of our objective to make construction a safer and more collaborative industry.
In all our markets, we are well positioned to deliver the sustainable solutions that customers and societies need, today and in the future. We take an active role in developing society, working with customers, politicians, and other stakeholders to continually improve standards in safety, green, ethics, inclusion and diversity and community investment.
Skanska UK is at the forefront of reducing carbon emissions in the construction industry and aims to be carbon neutral across its portfolio of projects by 2045, including all supply chain emissions.
Recent project highlights
- On behalf of Royal London Asset Management Ltd, Skanska is building The Earnshaw Building in London. This contract will see Skanska construct residential and mixed-use commercial buildings as well as install the mechanical, electrical, and public health services for the development.
- Skanska has been awarded the contract to build YY London, 30 South Colonnade on behalf of its customer, Quadrant and funds managed by Oaktree Capital Management, L.P.
- Skanska is responsible for the design and build of the £507 million A428 Black Cat to Caxton Gibbert improvements contract on behalf of its customer, Highways England. The route is the only remaining stretch of single carriageway between the M1 near Milton Keynes and Cambridge.
- Skanska has secured the £180 million contract for the Blossom Street development in London, on behalf of its customer British Land PLC.
- We are collaborating to deliver Highways England’s M42 Junction 6 improvement scheme. Worth £143 million, the five-year project will see a comprehensive upgrade of the M42 near Birmingham Airport.
- Skanska has won the redevelopment contract for the historical Norfolk House in Westminster, to create a new eight-storey, commercial office building.
- Skanska is building 20 Ropemaker Street, a mixed-use commercial scheme, worth £240 million. Skanska will also install mechanical, electrical, and public health services in the 25-storey commercial project.
- Skanska has secured contracts with Anglian Water and Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water for a further five years which will continue into the next asset management period up to 2025.
- In the last 15 years, we’ve built, refurbished, and extended over 70 schools in Bristol to deliver more than 8,500 new primary school places, and improved the learning environment for more than 15,000 secondary school pupils.
- Skanska is providing facilities management to the Ministry of Defence at Northwood HQ in Hertfordshire, delivering all non-military support activities such as buildings maintenance, grounds maintenance and IT communications infrastructure support on the site, until 2031.
BoKlok UK, the 50/50 joint venture company owned by Skanska and IKEA, offers quality, sustainable homes at a lower cost. We are preparing to build BoKlok UK’s first development in Bristol.