Our £1.7 billion UK operation is one of the country’s top construction and development companies. It is an inclusive and responsible business that is helping to build for a better society. Known for working on major projects, such as the Gherkin, the M25 and Crossrail, we are building, upgrading and maintaining the country’s infrastructure for future generations.
Drawing on our Scandinavian heritage, we are green, innovative and progressive. We bring together people and technology, as part of our objective to make construction a safer and more collaborative industry.
In all our markets, we are well positioned to deliver the sustainable solutions that customers and societies need, today and in the future. We take an active role in developing society, working with customers, politicians and other stakeholders to continually improve standards in safety, green. ethics, diversity and inclusion, and community investment.
Through Our Journey to Deep Green™, our aim is for all Skanska projects to have a near-zero impact on the environment.
Recent project highlights
- In joint venture, Skanska delivered the £1 billion widening of the M25, one of the world’s busiest motorways, ahead of schedule in 2012. A £320 million design and construction contract to upgrade further sections was again completed early in 2014.
- Skanska is part of the Wessex Capacity Alliance delivering the Waterloo and South West upgrade project to increase capacity at London Waterloo and on the South Western Railway network. The scheme involves the biggest package of improvements to the station since the 1930s.
- In London, Skanska is currently building a mixed-use scheme at the northern end of the Knightsbridge estate, as well as the St Giles Circus development, which includes varied schemes, combining retail, leisure and entertainment spaces, commercial offices and residential accommodation.
- Skanska is helping to deliver the A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon improvement scheme, which includes 34 bridges and structures and the new 750-metre-long River Great Ouse viaduct.
- Water – Skanska is delivering long-term value for Thames Water, Welsh Water and Anglian Water and their customers, using collaborative working to create broad-based, innovative solutions that benefit consumers.
- In the last 10 years, we’ve built, refurbished and extended over 50 schools in Bristol to deliver more than 8,500 new primary school places, and improved the learning environment for more than 14,500 secondary school pupils.
- Skanska is providing facilities management to the Ministry of Defence at Northwood HQ in Hertfordshire, delivering all non-military support activities such as buildings maintenance, grounds maintenance and IT communications infrastructure support on the site, until 2031.
- The new Royal Papworth Hospital was completed in 2019 and is part of the Cambridge Biomedical Campus in Cambridge. This cardiothoracic centre of excellence provides 310 beds, five operating theatres and five catheter laboratories, funded through a private finance initiative.
- Skanska maintains over 23,000 miles of roads across a range of local authorities, including Cambridgeshire, Oxfordshire, Somerset, North Somerset, Hampshire, Devon and Peterborough.
Commercial property development from concept to market:
- 66 Queen Square in Bristol and London properties, The Monument Building and 51 Moorgate, are Skanska’s first UK developments under our Workplaces by Skanska brand.
- The creation of Mindenhurst, a new neighbourhood of homes, green space and local amenities, through the redevelopment of Princess Royal Barracks in Surrey.